Overall Project Construction Progress
Fall 2021 – Preliminary construction will begin.
- Install storm sewer crossing on Sylvan Dr. South at Gilmer Rd.
- Sylvan Dr. South will be closed at Gilmer Rd with detour route in place.
- Local traffic can access Sylvan Dr South from Midlothian Rd.
- Scheduled 11/1/21 thru 11/14/21.
- Pave temporary asphalt along existing pavement on north/east side of Gilmer Rd and south/east side of Midlothian Rd.
- Utility Companies will continue relocation of their facilities to accommodate the proposed improvements.
Winter 2021 – 2022
- Install temporary traffic signal at intersection of Gilmer Rd & Midlothian Rd to replace the existing traffic signal during construction.
- Move traffic onto the temporary asphalt pavement (Stage 3).
- Remove existing pavement on the south/west side of Gilmer Rd and north/west side of Midlothian Rd.
- Install storm sewer.
- Excavate, place stone base, concrete curb and gutter and pave asphalt base on south/west side of Gilmer Rd and north/west side of Midlothian Rd.
- Move SB/EB Gilmer Rd traffic only onto the new pavement (Stage 4). NB/WB Gilmer Rd remains on existing pavement.
- Remove pavement in center of Gilmer Road, install storm sewer, excavate, place stone base, and pave asphalt base.
- Move NB/WB Gilmer Rd traffic onto the new pavement (Stage 5) adjacent to SB/EB Gilmer Rd traffic.
- Reconstruct the NE corner of Gilmer Rd & Midlothian Rd intersection
- Move traffic on Midlothian Rd onto the new pavement (Stage 6).
- Remove remaining pavement on Gilmer Rd and Midlothian Rd.
- Install remaining storm sewer.
- Excavate, place stone base, concrete curb and gutter and pave asphalt base on north/east side of Gilmer Rd and south/east side of Midlothian Rd.
- Move traffic on Gilmer Rd (Stage 7) to allow the SW corner of Gilmer Rd & Midlothian Rd to be reconstructed as well as the remaining intersection work.
- Open up all lanes of traffic for the winter.
- Continue work on the new traffic signal installation at the Gilmer Rd & Midlothian Rd intersection.
- Pave final asphalt surface course.
- Finish remaining landscaping.
- Stripe final pavement markings.
- Activate new traffic signal at the Gilmer Rd & Midlothian Rd intersection.
Anticipated completion Spring 2023.
Check back for future scheduling updates!